“Chris John & Partners” is the trading name of Property Expert (Wales) Limited.
We are committed to preserving your privacy. This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, that you provide to us or that we obtain from other sources, will be processed by us. This includes personal data we use in connection with:
- use of our website at www.chrisjohn.co.uk
- provision of our services;
- any of our services when you call or otherwise contact us; and
- the provision of any newsletters, marketing e-mails and updates.
For the purpose of data protection laws, the data controller is Andrew Thomas of 95 Pontcanna Street, Cardiff CF11 9HS.
1. BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
1.1. Paragraphs 1.2 – 1.7 below explain how and why we process your personal data, as well as the legal basis on which we carry out this processing.
1.2. To enter into and perform contracts with you:
Where you ask us to provide services to you, we will process your personal data to provide these services. Our use of your personal data in this way may include sharing your personal data with our employees and other personnel, partner agencies and suppliers such as hosting service providers, payment service providers, cloud based email, storage and CRM system providers, accountancy software providers. We need to process your personal data in this way to enter into and fulfil our contract with you for sale of products or supply of services at your request. If you do not wish to provide us with your personal data in this way, you will be unable to use our services.
1.3. To communicate with you:
Where you: submit an enquiry to us; supply personal information for referencing or credit checking purposes, provide feedback to us; sign up to our e-mail updates or newsletters; make a complaint or otherwise provide us with any submissions, we will process your personal data so that we can respond to your enquiry, process your tenancy or guarantor reference, provide you with the information you requested or otherwise communicate with you. The legal basis on which we process your personal data in these circumstances is our legitimate interest as a business to respond to customer communications and requests, and to maintain customer satisfaction.
1.4. To make our website better:
We may also process personal data in order to provide you with a more tailored experience, including using personal data to make sure our website is displayed in the most effective way for the device you are using. This processing means that our services will be more tailored to you.
We also use various third-party cookies to help us improve our website but we will not share your personal data with the third-party analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website.
We will also process personal data for the purposes of making our website more secure, and to administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
The legal basis on which we process personal data in these circumstances is our legitimate interest to provide you with a better user experience, and to ensure that our website is kept secure.
The use of any non-essential cookies is subject to your consent. You can also prevent us from using your personal data in this way by using the 'do not track' functionality in their internet browser. If you enable such do not track functionality, our website may be less tailored to your needs and preferences.
1.5. For marketing purposes:
- 1.5.1. If you have requested information from us or purchased services from us We will process your personal data to provide you with marketing communications and have not opted out of receiving that marketing. We may use external marketing agents to help us with such marketing communications. The legal basis on which we process personal data for marketing purposes is our legitimate interest to develop our services and grow our business. However we will not use information gained through tenant or guarantor referencing for marketing purposes.
- 1.5.2. You can ask us to stop sending you marketing communications at any time by following the unsubscribe link in any marketing communication you receive from us or by contacting us on 029 2039 7152 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Where you opt out of receiving these marketing communications, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product or service purchase or other transaction.
1.6. If our business is sold: We will transfer your personal data to a third party:
- 1.6.1. in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets (at all times in accordance with all applicable data protection laws); or
- 1.6.2. if Property Expert (Wales) Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, personal data will be one of the assets transferred to the purchaser
1.7 in each case, the legal basis on which we process data in these circumstances is our legitimate interest to ensure our business can be continued by a purchaser. If you object to our use of personal data in this way, the relevant seller or buyer of our business may not be able to provide products or services to you.
2. In certain circumstances we may also need to share your personal data if we are under a duty to disclose or share personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
2. CATEGORIES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
We will collect and process the following personal data:
2.1. Information you give us:
This is information about you that you give us when you visit, register on our website or at property portals which then provide your information to us, or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It includes information you have provided so that we may process an application for a tenancy or for referencing a guarantor. The information you give us may include names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers.
2.2. Information about other persons that you provide us with:
- Where you have provided personal data about another person (for instance in response to a reference request in connection with an application for a tenancy), we need to process such personal data in order to provide services to the other person or people. By providing such information, you confirm that you have informed such third parties of our use of their information and that you are lawfully permitted to share their information with us.
2.3. Information we collect:
With regard to visits to our website we will automatically collect the following information:
- 2.3.1. technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect computers to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, screen resolution, operating system and platform; and
- 2.3.2. information about visits, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page.
- 2.3.3. We do not process any special categories of personal data, meaning personal data revealing: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious or philosophical beliefs or data concerning an individual's health, sex life or sexual orientation.
2.4. We do not process data relating to criminal convictions unless legally obliged to do so.
3. USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We will combine the information you provide to us with information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
4. WHERE WE STORE PERSONAL DATA
- 4.2. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers.
5 PERIOD OF STORAGE
- 5.1. Where you purchase services from us as a property vendor, landlord or tenant, we will retain your data for a period of six years after the end of the period of service, to ensure that we are able to comply with HMRC regulations.
- 5.2. Where we have processed your personal data to provide marketing communications and you tell us that you no longer wish to receive such communications, your personal data will be removed from our mailing lists.
6. RIGHTS UNDER DATA PROTECTION LAWS
Right to object
- 6.1. You have the right to object to us processing your personal data where such data is being processed in accordance with legitimate interests as set out above. If you ask us to stop processing your personal data we will do so unless we can demonstrate compelling grounds as to why the processing should continue in accordance with data protection laws. In the case of date utilised for direct marking purposes, if you ask us to stop processing your personal data we will stop.
Right of access
- 6.2. You have the right to receive confirmation as to whether your personal data is being processed by us, as well as other information relating to our use of your personal data. You also have the right to access your personal data which we are processing.
Right to rectification
- 6.3. You have the right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data we hold about you. You also have the right to have incomplete personal data we hold about you completed, by providing a supplementary statement to us.
Right to restriction
6.4. You have the right to restrict our processing of your personal data where:
- 6.4.1. the accuracy of the personal data is being contested by you;
- 6.4.2. the processing by us of your personal data is unlawful, but you do not want the relevant personal data erased;
- 6.4.3. we no longer need to process your personal data for the agreed purposes, but you want to preserve your personal data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
6.4.4. we are processing your data on the basis of our legitimate interest (as set out at sections 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 above) and you:
- 184.108.40.206. object to our processing on the basis of our legitimate interest under section 6.1 above; and
- 220.127.116.11. want processing of the relevant personal data to be restricted until it can be determined whether our legitimate interest overrides your legitimate interest.
- 6.5. Where any exercise by you of your right to restriction determines that our processing of particular personal data are to be restricted, we will then only process the relevant personal data in accordance with your consent and, in addition, for storage purposes and for the purpose of legal claims.
Right to data portability
6.6. You have the right to receive your personal data in structured, standard machine- readable format and the right to transmit such personal data to another controller.
Right to erasure
6.7. You have the right to require we erase your personal data which we are processing where one of the following grounds applies:
- 6.7.1. the processing is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which your personal data was collected or otherwise processed;
- 6.7.2. our processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have subsequently withdrawn your consent and there is no other legal ground we can use to process your personal data;
- 6.7.3. you object to the processing in as set out in section 6.1.1 of this policy and we have no overriding legitimate interest for our processing;
- 6.7.4. the personal data have been unlawfully processed; and
- 6.7.5. the erasure is required for compliance with a law to which we are subject.
6.8. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, the supervisory authority for data protection issues in England and Wales.
6.9. You can exercise such rights by contacting us on 029 2039 7152 or by writing to us at 95 Pontcanna Street, Cardiff CF11 9HS or e-mailing email@example.com.
7. LINKS ON OUR WEBSITE
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that you have left our website and these websites have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or websites. Please check these policies before submitting any personal data to these websites.